Thursday 19 September 2013

What Lesbians Shouldn't Think Of Bisexuals

Arielle Scarcella recently released a video about What Lesbians Think Of Bisexuals. If you haven't seen it, watch it here. Arielle is one of the cutest lesbian bloggers on YouTube right now and she has a prominent series where other lesbians talk about what they think. Some of them have made me giggle, some of them have made me confused, a couple have made me sad but the latest one just made me angry.

Arielle asked lesbians what they thought of bisexuals and got a range of responses from "slutty" to "greedy" to "confused". Some of my favourite quotes include "if she can make me laugh I might get past the fact that she had a dick in her mouth last week" and "my confidence was shaken was really shaken because I was never sure if she was into me and not looking at men as well".

All I can say is that I cannot believe that these kind of responses came from the mouths of people that have experienced discrimination, prejudice and erasure. From a community that is supposed to embrace individual choice when it comes to sexuality, there is a shocking attitude towards bisexuality in the LGBTI community.

Many gay people I know seem to be convinced that it's their way or the highway. I know girls that have been firmly entrenched in the lesbian community and then meet the love of their life, who just happens to be a guy, and then loose connection with over half of her friends. I know many gay people that think you're either straight or gay and that there is no grey inbetween. They seem to have absolutely no idea that other people can think differently to them, let alone feel differently to them.

Sexuality is fluid for many, many people. And for people from the gay community that cannot accept that and think it is one way or the other, I ask them to think about how hard we have had to fight to have our sexualities accepted by society. Until 1974, homosexuality was still defined as a mental illness. We have fought hard to show that no matter what someone's sexual orientation is, we are all still human beings. There is choice in the world and it is shocking for people from the LGBTI community to try and define someone else's sexuality for them and judge them for it.

2 comments: